Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Henry Pilcher's Sons (1897)

Location:

St. Sebastian Church
5589 Bismark Road
Bismarck, Huron County, OH 44811 US
Organ ID: 71532

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Roman Catholic Churches
  • The organ has been relocated.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Paul R. Marchesano on August 10, 2022.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 10 ranks. 576 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 10 stops. 11 registers.
Great, Swell, Pedal:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Built by Henry Pilcher's Sons
We received the most recent update for this division from Paul R. Marchesano on August 10, 2022.
Keydesk:
  • Built by Henry Pilcher's Sons
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 10
  • Registers: 11
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Combination Action: No combination action.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
  • Has Coupler Reversible Thumb Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Paul R. Marchesano on August 10, 2022.
Paul R. Marchesano on August 10, 2022:

Pipe Organs of Columbus, OHS, 2022: Catholics in the settlement of Bismarck, Huron County, Ohio, had unified to build St. Sebastian Church. In 1897 the parish purchased the Pilcher organ for $1,400. The organ ultimately survived a 1940 fire in the church. In 1988 Leek Pipe Organs of Oberlin, Ohio, sensitively rebuilt the organ. The building was shuttered in 2005, and the congregation merged as part of a clustering initiative to be based at St. Gaspar del Buffalo, Bellevue, Ohio.

History of St. Sebastian Church (website, archived, accessed 2022-08-10: The original log chapel was replaced in 1857 by the present brick church, 40 x 72 feet in size. Its cornerstone was laid on August 5 of that year. The present pastoral residence and school, both brick buildings, were erected between 1867 and 1868. A frame school house was built in 1862, about two miles from the church, for the convenience of the children in that section of the parish. No notable improvements were made in or about the church property for a number of years, until 1894, when the church was thoroughly renovated, both exterior and interior, and thus made very attractive, which it is even at the present time. In 1897 a $1,400 pipe organ replaced the old time worn instrument. [Ed.: builder unknown at this time]

We received the most recent update for this note from Paul R. Marchesano on August 10, 2022.
Pipe Organs of Columbus, OHS 2022: Open In New Tab
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Paul R. Marchesano on August 10, 2022.

Instrument Images:

The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.

This instrument has been viewed 41 times.