Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

J. W. Steere & Son (1896)

Location:

St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Windsor Locks, CT US
Sanctuary
Organ ID: 71546

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Episcopal and Anglican Churches
  • The organ has an unknown or unreported status.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Charles Eberline on August 12, 2022.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Pneumatic
  • 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 16 stops.
Great:
  • Chest Type(s): Pneumatic chests
  • Built by J. W. Steere & Son
We received the most recent update for this division from Jim Stettner on August 14, 2022.

Swell (Expressive):
  • Chest Type(s): Pneumatic chests
  • Built by J. W. Steere & Son
We received the most recent update for this division from Jim Stettner on August 14, 2022.

Pedal:
  • Chest Type(s): Pneumatic chests
  • Built by J. W. Steere & Son
We received the most recent update for this division from Jim Stettner on August 14, 2022.
Chancel:
  • Built by J. W. Steere & Son
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 16
  • Manual Compass: 58
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Tubular-pneumatic connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Tubular-pneumatic connection between stop control and chest.
  • Combination Action: Fixed mechanical system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Has Combination Action Foot Trundles
We received the most recent update for this console from Jim Stettner on August 14, 2022.
Charles Eberline on August 12, 2022:

From the Hartford Daily Courant, November 8, 1895: The contract for the new pipe organ for St. Paul's Episcopal Church has been awarded to the firm of J. W. Steere & Sons [sic] of Springfield, Mass. The money for the organ was left by the late James B. Colton of Warehouse Point and it will be a memorial to him. A plate on the organ will be suitably inscribed. The recess for the organ is nearing completion and the front of the organ will extend out into the church nearly to the chancel arch. The manuals, seat and choir seats will be on the other side of the chancel arch, the action being extended across under the floor. All of the actions will be the tubular pneumatic and of the latest improved kind. It will be a two-manual organ and the stops and mechanical appliances will give the organist a large variety of changes.

The service of blessing of the organ was held on March 16, 1896, as reported in the Courant of March 18. The article gave the following description of the organ:

[The organ stands on the west side of the church, about four feet of it extending into the body of the church. The case is of the sweet gum wood and is highly polished. The decorated pipes above the wood work are in perfect harmony with the walls, ceiling and general appearance of the interior of the church. The keyboard locker is on the west side of the church and is finished in quartered oak. The organist faces the organ and is far enough away from it to get the full benefit of the tone and knows just how the music sounds to the audience. There are two manuals with electro-pneumatic action and the pedal organ has the same action. The swell and great organs have seven sets of pipes, each fifty-eight notes, making 866 [sic] pipes, while the pedal organ has two stops of twenty-seven pipes each. There are seven pedal movements and seven mechanical registers. The coupling arrangement doubles the power of the swell organ and the great organ can be coupled on the swell with double power on both organs. It is also supplied with a new automatic adjustable combination stop action which allows any combination to be made for any pedal before or during the execution of any selection of music. On the front of the organ case is a plate inscribed: "The Gift of James B. Colton of Warehouse Point, 1896." . . . It was built by J. W. Steere & Son of Springfield, Mass.

Sources: "Windsor Locks" (column), Hartford Daily Courant, Friday, November 8, 1895, 8, Newspapers.com, accessed August 11, 2022, https://www.newspapers.com/image/369518437/.

"Windsor Locks" (column), subheading "Blessing of the New Organ at St. Paul's—Description of the Organ," Hartford Daily Courant, Wednesday, March 18, 1896, 8, Newspapers.com, accessed August 11, 2022, https://www.newspapers.com/image/374443667/.

We received the most recent update for this note from Jim Stettner on August 12, 2022.
"Windsor Locks" (column), <i>Hartford Daily Courant</i>, Wednesday, March 18, 1896, 8, Newspapers.com, accessed August 11, 2022, https://www.newspapers.com/image/374443667/.: Open In New Tab Newspaper article
Document created on 1896-03-18
We received the most recent update for this document from Charles Eberline on August 12, 2022.

Instrument Images:

Church exterior: Photograph from an archival source: Vintage postcard, submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. Postmarked 1909

Pipe Organs in Connecticut sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 59 times.