Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Albert C. Gemünder (Gemünter) (1872)

Originally Thomas Appleton (1820 ca.)

Location:

First Congregational Church
444 East Broad Street
Columbus, OH 43215 US
Organ ID: 71549

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Congregational Church
  • The organ is no longer a complete instrument; dispersed/parted out.
  • The organ's condition is not playable.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Paul R. Marchesano on August 12, 2022.
Paul R. Marchesano on August 12, 2022:

In 1871 Albert C. Gemünder received a contract to renovate and move an existing organ already in the First Congregational Church, likely a ca. 1820 Thomas Appleton instrument acquired second-hand in 1863. The organ was removed in 1872 by Gemünder, who proposed “to make such changes as will make it one of the best as it is one of the largest in the city.”4 The rebuilt organ was placed in the rear of the pulpit platform, and “wings were built to the instrument so as to give it a better proportion, and the addition of some ornaments gives it a very pleasing appearance.”5 The altered Appleton organ was subsequently replaced in 1887 with A.B. Felgemaker’s Op. 479, which aligned with a major remodeling of the previous sanctuary. -- Pipe Organs of Columbus OHS 2022

We received the most recent update for this note from Paul R. Marchesano on August 12, 2022.

Instrument Images:

Stereograph, taken by Neville & Saunders at 69 South High Street in Columbus: Photograph from an archival source: Neville & Saunders, Columbus OH, via The Tracker, 66:2, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken approx. 1875

This instrument has been viewed 39 times.