Rutz Organ Co. (1996)

Originally Wm. Johnson & Son (Opus 775, 1892)

Location:

St. Savior Anglican Church
Anglikanu street, Anglikanu iela 2, Centra rajons
Riga, LV-1050 LV
Organ ID: 71966

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Episcopal and Anglican Churches
  • The organ is unaltered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Paul R. Marchesano on October 20, 2022.

Technical Details:

  • 13 ranks.
Paul R. Marchesano on October 20, 2022:

This organ was built for Sentinel Methodist Episcopal Church in Buffalo, New York, a building later owned by the House of Prayer for All People. Severely water damaged many years ago, the instrument had not been usable for decades prior to its removal in January 1995 by a Clearing House crew, in sub-zero weather, while the church was being torn down. In the meantime, organbuilder Roland Rutz in Minnesota had been contacted by the Church of Saint Saviour in Riga, Latvia, looking for a pipe organ. The ecumenical church is owned by the Gibraltar Diocese of the Anglican Church, and served by a Latvian-Canadian ELCA pastor. It is the only church in Latvia which serves the growing English-speaking community in that formerly Communist country. In due course, the Rutz Organ Co. rebuilt the Johnson organ for Saint Saviour's Church and installed it there in May 1996. -- Organ Clearing House ad, 1996 OHS Handbook

We received the most recent update for this note from Paul R. Marchesano on October 20, 2022.

Instrument Images:

Organ case against wall: Photograph from an archival source: Builder ad, 1996 OHS Handbook, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken approx. 1996

This instrument has been viewed 152 times.