22 S. Main St.
Warsaw, NY 14569 US
Now United Church
Organ ID: 7215
Looking at the images of the two side by side churches, the Presbyterian church with its tall and elegant spire is on the right, and the Congregational church on the left with the spiked tower is oriented with the altar on the long side, and the organ niche protruded from the left side of the building.
The 1866 brick church with the tall spire designed by the famed Rochester architect Andrew Warner on this site is the second building for this congregation, replacing a wood building constructed in 1808. The church website states the first organ for this congregation was installed in 1850, unfortunately unidentified.
Garret House installed a two-manual instrument in a front niche on the newly-constructed church in 1867. In 1902, C.E. Morey installed a two-manual organ inside the original House case. Whether this was a new organ or a rebuild of the House is presently unknown and requires further research. In 1944, this congregation merged with the Presbyterians in the church next door, also designed by architect Warner. A connector was built between the two buildings, and the Congregational church remained the prime meeting house. The Presbyterian sanctuary was heavily altered and made into a small chapel. Church facebook photos show the Johnson case in place, the top portion obscured by a dropped ceiling and a rank of pipes can be seen through the feet of the facade pipes. The Johnson console is gone.
A contemporary photo of the Congregational church shows a redesigned front and the niche formerly occupied by the Garret House case is empty and filled with something with the appearance of grills. The church has the typical array of drums and microphone stands, but the fate of the Morey or whether this church still has a real organ is yet to be determined.
Updated through online information from Michael Fraser. -- Entire swell division non functioning. Organ in need of complete rebuild.
Updated through on-line information from Michael Fraser. -- Church merged with Congregational church located next door. Buildings connected via walkway with office space. Church building now used as chapel. Drop Ceiling installed in sanctuary area covering top of organ case. Instrument in unknown condition.
Bldg was Presbyterian. [Presbyterian merged with Congregational & sold bldg.]