This instrument is a three-manual tracker built by Hilbourne Roosevelt in 1880 in the Philadelphia shop. The acquisition of such a very fine instrument was not typical of Irish parishes in South Philadelhia. The obvious instigator of so fine a purchace was the composer of Catholic church music Albert Rosewig, a German national who served as Director of Music at St. Charles Borromeo for thirty-five years -- until his death in 1929.
The organ is in exactly the same form as when it was built with the exception of an electric motor put in in 1904. It has regrettably suffered some damage in the early 2000s. A couple of hunderd pipes were stolen mainly from the bass. For what reason we do not know. It affects the Great and Choir as well as the Fagotto in the pedals.
The instrument itself is nonetheless quite playable and is played every sunday. We need to raise money to restore the pipes. The bellows system is also in poor shape. All of the wooden ranks are complete. I have restored the Clarion down to middle C, but the Trumpet is too far gone.
The accoustics of this church are excellent such that this could be a very important instrument. --Note submitted with stoplist in 2007, James Hale
The organ suffered some damage in the early 2000s. A couple of hunderd pipes were stolen mainly from the bass pipework easily accessible behind the C side case panel, likely vandals who thought they could sell the pipes for scrap. It affects the Great and Choir as well as the Fagotto in the Pedal.
The citation was sent to the church for display, but not presented in a public ceremony.
According to information received via e-mail from Paul Marchesano, the citation was not awarded in a public ceremony. Presentation was made de facto via mailing the certificate to James Hale, the organist, who arranged its display.
Updated through online information from James Hale. -- Received OHS Citation 363
Refurbishment of the action by Edwin Ohl included replacement of wood tracker parts with aluminum.
Status Note: There 1978
Restored by Edwin A. Ohl c. 1978. 8' Fagotto in Pedal.