Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Skinner Organ Co. (Opus 820, 1931)

Location:

Cathedral of Our Lady, Queen of the Most Holy Rosary, R.C.
2535 Collingwood Blvd.
Toledo, OH 43610 US
Organ ID: 7278

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Roman Catholic Churches
  • The organ is unaltered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition needs attention, but in usable condition.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: EP pitman
  • 76 ranks. 4,884 pipes. 5 divisions. 4 manuals. 60 stops. 73 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): EP pitman chests
  • Position: In side chambers at the front of the room. No visible pipes.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 4
  • Divisions: 5
  • Stops: 60
  • Registers: 73
  • Position: Movable console.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on angled jambs.
  • Combination Action: Remote pneumatic/mechanical capture system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Tutti Reversible Thumb Piston(s)
  • Has Tutti Reversible Toe Piston(s)
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Piston(s)
  • Has Combination Action Toe Piston(s)
  • Has Coupler Reversible Thumb Piston(s)
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Piston(s)
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on May 07, 2018: We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Database Manager on February 09, 2017:

Updated by Paul Monachino, who has heard or played the organ.
Nearly unplayable in the mid-1980's, significant restorative repairs and re-leathering were carried out by Sam Koontz from 1988-1992. Much of the organ still requires restoration. The organ was initially scheduled for installation in the Fall of 1930, but this was delayed until the Winter of 1931. Plans for a thorough and complete restoration await funding. - Paul Monachino, Director of Music/Organist, Our Lady, Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Cathedral.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on May 15, 2009:

Updated through online information from Paul Monachino.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 19, 2008:

Updated through online information from Paul Marchesano. -- The organ received OHS Citation #373, to be presented July 7, 2009

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on May 15, 2006:

Updated through information adapted from E. M. Skinner/Aeolian-Skinner Opus List, by Sand Lawn and Allen Kinzey (Organ Historical Society, 1997), and included here through the kind permission of Sand Lawn:
Extant; console moved in 1980 by Ken and Dorothy Holden; restoration and repairs by Samuel Koontz in 1987-90.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Status Note: There 1990

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Reported incorrectly that is was "Restored by Samuel Koontz 1990." Koontz carried out significant restorative repairs and re-leathering from 1988 to 1992 bringing the instrument back to playable condition, but did not make a complete restoration. Information from Paul Monachino, Director of Music/Organist, Our Lady, Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Cathedral.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab From Allen Kinzey via <i>The Aeolian-Skinner Archives</i>
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Console and Nave: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Console and Chamber Grillework: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Console and Chamber Grillework: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Console and Chancel: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Chancel and Console: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Church Interior and Altar: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Builder's Nameplate: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Manuals and Coupler Rocking Tablets: Photograph by Stephen Schnurr. Taken on 2008-05-01

Left Drawknobs: Photograph by Stephen Schnurr. Taken on 2008-05-01

Right Drawknobs: Photograph by Stephen Schnurr. Taken on 2008-05-01

Carving on Apse Stall: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Cathedral Exterior: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Cathedral Exterior: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Cathedral Exterior Facade: Photograph by Stephen Schnurr. Taken on 2008-05-01

Console: Photograph by Brent L. Neuenschwander. Taken on 2016-09-11

This instrument has been viewed 891 times.