Park Methodist Church
Hornell, NY US
Organ ID: 73020
The electrification of the organ by an unknown builder coincided with a dramatic redecoration of the front of the church, with the center part of the organ hidden behind drapery, and the choir now in divided-chancel seating. This situation remained until the early/mid 1960s when the chancel was again redecorated, the drapery covering the front of the organ was removed and the pipe facade was again visible in toto, but with shortened pipes in the center section.
The church was demolished in a fit of urban renewal to make way for a multi-lane arterial that cut through the heart of the city and obliterated the historic park in front of the church. The last Sunday service in the old building was Easter 1971. The congregation moved to a new contemporary building at the outskirts of town in North Hornell. The organ was moved into the new building by the Peckam company of Elmira. Further investigation is needed to determine if the organ is still extant, or has been removed.
This entry represents the electrification of the original J.W. Steere & Son organ.
Electrified/modified organ in front of newly refurbished sanctuary: Photograph from an archival source: Hornellhome.com, submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. 1940's
Christmas in the newly-redecorated church, with divided chancel choir seating: Photograph from an archival source: Hornellhome.com, submitted by Scot L. Huntington. Taken approx. Christmas, 1953
Sanctuary with organ in front: Photograph from an archival source: Hornellhome.com, submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. ca. 1962
Organ in front at Easter: Photograph from an archival source: Dan Trethaway via Hornellhome.com, submitted by Scot L. Huntington. Taken approx. Easter 1971