Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Charles F. Durner (1879)

Location:

Trinity Episcopal Church
Clarksville, TN 3704_ US
Organ ID: 8659

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Episcopal and Anglican Churches
  • The organ is no longer extant; destroyed.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on October 06, 2009:

Updated through on-line information from Will Dunklin. -- M.P. Möller provided a new, 2-manual, tilt tab console in the mid 1950s. Möller magnets operated the key and stop actions, though I don't when it was electrified. We were unable to determine if the slider chests had been originally built with a tubular pneumatic action or a tracker action. However, either from the first or from very early in its life, the key action had been operated by a beautifully built tubular-pneumatic action and the sliders operated by pneumatic on/off bellows. The original key action primaries had their valves placed on the outside. At some later point, possibly when the organ was electrified, the key action primaries were changed so that the valves seated inside the wooden frame. This required extensive alteration to the primary and was VERY poorly done.

It appeared that during the 1920s or 1930s, various ranks had been replaced by more modern pipes. Pipe construction and racking showed significant changes and indifferent quality workmanship.

In the 1970s the church had bought a large electronic organ. The electronic salesman removed all the great pipe work and piled it on the floor, walking on and crushing many of the pipes. The electronic's speakers were placed on the great chests. When we removed the organ, we found the chest tables to be utterly splintered and a great deal of water damage throughout. With great regret, the chests were disposed of and the few remaining intact ranks sold.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on February 11, 2019.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Built in 1876 for Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, PA. Displayed at the 1878 and 1879 state fairs in PA. Installed here 1879. Organ, except case destroyed c. 1985.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Church exterior ca. 1950.: Vintage postcard, courtesy of William Dunklin.

Chancel and Organ Case (left side): Vintage Postcard; image courtesy of Bynum Petty.

Pipe Organs in Tennessee sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 292 times.