St. Luke's Episcopal Church
5421 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia: Germantown, PA 19144 US
Organ ID: 9033
Online update from Nathan Laube -- Tonally the organ seems to be intact (1894), however the 16' Posaune (Contra Basson) on the Swell has pipes stamped "Rec."...we suspect that rank may be a Casavant replacement dating from around the time that the present Casavant console was installed. The Great V Mixture, 16' Trombone, 8' Tromba, 4' Clarion, as well as the Echo division (8' Quintadena, 8' Echo Salicional, 4' Flute Octaviante, 8' Clarinet) are enclosed in a box, and the choir is unenclosed. The Unenclosed Great, Enclosed Great, Echo, Pedal Open Wood (32' 16' 8' 4') and Trombone (16' 8' 4') are located on the left side of the chancel with the Console. The Swell and Choir (unenclosed) as well as the Pedal Subbass (16' 8') and 8' Viola d'amour (in facade) are on the right side of the chancel. When the Casavant console was installed, the distribution of divisions over the manuals was changed. Now the Choir and the Echo play on Man. 1, Great on 2, Swell on 3. Formerly the Echo (enclosed with the Great) played on the Man. 2, so in essence the Great division was made up of three sub-divisions (I Unenclosed: 16' Bdn., 8' Principal Diapason, Small Diapason, Harmonic Flute, 4' Octave, 2 2/3' Octave-Quinte, 2' Super Octave; II Enclosed: V Mixture, 16' Trombone, 8' Tromba, 4' Clarion; and III Echo: 8' Quintadena, Echo Salicional, 4' Fl.Oct., 8' Clarinet, Tremolo.) The 4' extensions of the Open Wood and Trombone in the pedal are not original. The Tremolo that used to affect the Great is no longer there. The swell and choir divisions were "direct-electric-ed" by Wicks. The entire organ plays beautifully, though the stunning reeds and harmonic flutes are begging for restoration.
Status Note: There 1996
In collaboration with Cole & Woodberry. Rebuilt with electric action by James Cole 1921. Windchests replaced by Casavant 1955 (Op. 2304). Trompette en Chamade 8' added 1970. Windchests rebuilt by Wicks in 1992. Releathered by Patrick J. Murphy c. 2001.