"Austin Organ Company Opus 22 was built with John Turnell Austin's Universal Airchest System by the firm of Clough and Warren of Detroit, Michigan in 1898. The design of Opus 22 was a radical departure from the norm for any organ builder of that day as well as a major tuning point for John Turnell Austin. It was this installation that landed John T. Austin to Hartford.
This organ featured several Austin firsts: The use of two wind pressures, adjustable combination pistons, three enclosed divisions, with three expression pedals, and a Sforzando pedal. In 1913, the organ was moved with the congregation to the present building.
The organ has had some changes over the century. The Echo was not reconnected in 1913 at the time of the move. At one point, an unknown party replaced many of the original Choir ranks with ranks from the Echo division. Alterations notwithstanding, the organ retains most of its original character." -- From "A Centennial Celebration" program, celebrating the organ's centennial and presentation with OHS Historic Organ Citation No. 237, November 7, 1998.
Updated through on-line information from Paul Marchesano.
Status Note: There 1998
"Was Horace Bushnell Congregational, later 4th Congregational. Last organ built in the Detroit, MI Clough-Warren shop before a fire. J. T. Austin moved to CT. [Moved into this building in 1913?]"