Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

M. P. Möller (Opus 6183, 1933)

Location:

Central Lutheran Church
1710 11th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98122 US
Organ ID: 962

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Lutheran Churches
  • The organ has been rebuilt or substantially revised.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on July 04, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: EP pitman
  • 8 ranks. 555 pipes. 2 manuals. 8 stops. 20 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): EP pitman chests
  • Position: In side chambers at the front of the room. No visible pipes.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on July 04, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Stops: 8
  • Registers: 20
  • Position: Console in fixed position, right.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Stop keys above top manual.
  • Combination Action: 'Hold and Set' pneumatic/mechanical system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on July 04, 2018.
Database Manager on October 18, 2006:

Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- The organ is in a ceiling chamber at the front of the church on the left side. Between 1944 and 1991, William J. Bunch - President of Balcom and Vaughan and organist for the church - made numerous upgrades, improvements, and additions. 1952 saw the addition of an Antiphonal Great and Swell - which was pipework from a used and several-times-relocated Jardine tracker originating from Shortridge Memorial Christian Church in Butte, Montana. The pipes were placed atop a ventil chest of unknown manufacture. 1952 saw the replacement of the original 2-manual stopkey console with a new 4-manual drawknob console built by Homer Toombs of Balcom and Vaughan. The Moller console was moved to Steele Lake Presbyterian in Federal Way, Washington, where it plays the electrified Estey, Op. 627, 1909 originally from St. James Episcopal Church in Kent, Washington. The Central Lutheran organ continued to grow under the design of William J. Bunch up to the time of his passing. Added ranks were often Aeolian-Skinner when that firm was still extant. A fire in the 1990s necessitated replacement of all of the Swell windchests, which was done by Balcom and Vaughan.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on June 01, 2005:

According to James Stettner, original console now in chapel of Steel Lake Presbyterian. Organ enlarged by Balcom and Vaughan to four manuals and more than 40 ranks.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Rebuilt by Balcom & Vaughan (1943?) and William Bunch (1989?), 4-31. 12/89 form - no stop list.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.

This instrument has been viewed 320 times.