First United Methodist Church
W.W. KIMBALL CO., 1901
Unknown Builder, ca. 1910 - Relocation of Kimball to Ellensburg from Spokane
George W. Graham, 1956 - Electrification
GREAT (Expressive) COUPLERS
8 Open Diapason 61 Swell to Pedal 8
8 Gamba 61 Great to Pedal 8,4
8 Melodia 61
8 Dulciana 61 Swell to Great 16,8,4
4 Octave 61
4 Flute d'Amour 61
2 Fifteenth 61 FINGER PISTONS
8 Trumpet 61 General 1 - 5
blank Swell & Pedal 1 - 5
Great & Pedal 1 - 5
Great Unison Off Gen. Can.
Great to Great 4'
SWELL (Expressive) Revers [Gt. To Ped.] (rev)
16 Bourdon 61 Sforzando (rev)
8 Violin Diapason 61
8 Stopped Flute 61
8 Salicional 61 PEDAL MOVEMENTS
8 Voix Celeste (tc) 49 Expression (bal.)
8 Aeoline 61 Crescendo (bal.)
4 Gemshorn 61
4 Harmonic Flute 61
8 Oboe 61 ACTION: E-P primary to ventil chests
8 Vox Humana 61 E-P unit
Tremolo VOICES: 20
Swell to Swell 16' STOPS: 20
Swell Unison Off
Swell to Swell 4' RANKS: 20
16 Open Diapason [wood] 32
16 Bourdon 32
This organ was originally built for Vincent M.E. Church in Spokane, WA.
in 1901, and has the distinction of being the first pipe organ in that
city. Little information is available about the organ in its original
home. The organ was relocated to Ellensburg when Vincent merged back with
First Methodist in Spokane to form Central Methodist.
We don't know who moved the organ from Spokane to Ellensburg. It may have
been Arthur D. Longmore who was the long-time Kimball rep. Located in
Seattle. The organ seems to have been installed “as is” with no known
tonal changes. Evidence in the present extant organ suggests that the
manual divisions were originally enclosed separately. But in Ellensburg,
they are enclosed together in a common swellbox with two sets of expression
louvers – one in front and one on the side. However, the side one is
anchored shut and disconnected from the action as there are Pedal pipes
mounted outside the louvers. The casework and facade also seem to have
been altered slightly in the Ellensburg installation.
In 1956, the primaries and ventil stop actions were electrified by George
W. Graham of Spokane and a new Klann console was provided. The Pedal
compass was increased from the original 30 notes to 32 and two additional
pipes were added to both of the Pedal ranks. Notes 1-17 of the Great 8\'
Open Diapason which were originally in the facade were moved to an offset
chest beneath the main chests. The action tubes of the elevated Swell 8\'
Vox Humana appear to have never been reconnected, so this stop is
unavailable. A 25-note set of Deagan chimes (Tenor G thru g 44) is playable
from the Great and controlled by two dials in the right end of the
nameboard. A false wall was erected behind the facade which inhibits tonal
egress in that direction.
SOURCES: Extant organ
[Received from James R. Stettner 2010-10-11.]